Waimakariri Community Updates

Local news, Sports, Information, Events and much more...


Five from five

The Waimak Championship men’s team have maintained their unbeaten run this season. In the weekend they defeated FCTwenty 2-1 on the turf at Kendall Park. It was a tightly contested first half, with neither team having dominance over the other, although Waimak did have two goals denied due to offside and handball, and went into the halftime break confident they could find the back of the net. 

In the second half, Waimak settled into their recent quality attacking patterns, and Kane Fraser was able to pick out Kian Grenfell, who calmly slotted the ball past the FCTwenty keeper. However, they lost concentration soon after and allowed FCTwenty back into the game, as they finished a move with a shot from a wide angle that slid into the far corner. This did boost the intensity from the home side, and Fraser led the charge with a dominant run through the midfield into the box, which saw him taken down by the FCTwenty defender. Unfortunately, Lucas Clarke could not convert the ensuing penalty, but the Waimak lads were definitely in search of the winner. And they found it when Kamil El Mohib managed to nod a ball back from the far post that found Mitchell Quigley in the right spot in front of goal. The 2-1 victory, hard fought but deserved, and keeps then at the top of the table along with Western.
Points: Western 15, Waimak 15, Parklands 9, Burwood 6, FCTwenty 6, Universities 3, Mid Canterbury 3, St Albans Shirley 3.

Unfortunately, the Waimak Premier women couldn’t get the same result from their match against league leaders Coastal Spirit. They contest really well for the majority of the game, but again late in the match conceded a run of goals, eventually losing 1-6. Dulcie Wagner scored the goal for Waimak after she weaved through the Coastal defence and slotted past their advancing keeper.

Points: Coastal Spirit 9, Cashmere Technical 9, Universities 4, Ferrymead Bays 3, Waimak 1, Nomads 0.

The reserve men’s team finally had a chance to get their season underway, after having two matches deferred. They met FCTwenty at Kendall Park, and came away with a 2 all draw.

What they are saying...